Friday, September 10, 2010

Traffic Jam, episode 14: She's Strange' ...a tribute to Grace Jones...

"I wasn't born this way. One creates oneself. I believe whatever I dream. Whatever I dream, I want to do." 

"I've always been a rebel. I never do things the way they're supposed to be done. Either I go in the opposite direction or I create a new direction for myself, regardless of what the rules are or what society says." 

"If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life, to repress their personality.  That's not living.  It's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead." 

- Grace Jones 


Grace Jones was a controversial icon well before I was born in the late 70s.  I remember the first time I witnessed her... it was in the movie Boomerang and I thought she was beyond fabulous.  She was so bold, unafraid to express herself, unhindered when it came to demanding what she wanted, and unapologetic about who she was.  

Since Grace entered the scene, many female artists have attempted to reach her level of outrageous originality.  Madonna, Kelis, Lady Gaga and countless others have tried in their own ways to push the envelope... but compared to Ms. Jones, none are as audacious, bewildering, or strange'.

So this mix is in honor of Grace, in honor of being yourself despite what others think, and in honor of living in the moment... I hope you enjoy it : )







Nightclubbing... Grace Jones
Sock it To Me... Missy Elliot
La Vie En Rose... Grace Jones
Bossy (transition)... Kelis
Freak Like Me... Adina Howard
My Jamaican Guy... Grace Jones
Hot Thang... Talib Kweli
Work That... Mary J. Blige
Big Momma Thang (transition)... Lil Kim
Doo Wop... Lauryn Hill
Golden... Jill Scott
Paper Thin.... MC Lyte
She's Strange... Cameo
Pull Up To the Bumper... Grace Jones
Off The Wall... Michael Jackson
Give It To Me Baby... Rick James
Express Yourself... Madonna
Into the Groove... Madonna
Telephone... Lady Gaga
Control... Janet Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment