Friday, August 27, 2010

Traffic Jam, episode 13: Tommy's Trying to KILL Me




I have a confession.  Since December of last year, I gained 20 pounds, busted a hole in the seat of a pair of jeans, and popped a button off another pair when out dancing.  


So last month I decided to join the East Decatur branch of CrossFit.  For those of you who don't know, CrossFit isn't a regular gym... the formula at CrossFit is this:  Heavy Weights + Running + "Guidance" + Sweat in your Eyes + (Torture x 2) + Peer Pressure = Results.  


The trainers are great and one in particular, Tommy, pushes me until I think I'm going to pass out, puke, or go on a cursing tirade.  For some reason, he is under the impression that I can lift way more than is logically possible for me.  Halfway into every workout, when I feel that I will drop a weight on my head, fall backwards, or be unable to finish, my pride kicks in, I get in the zone, and I do as Tommy tells me to do.  


Eventually, I start feeling fatigued and wonder if, at THIS very moment, all my muscles have given up and I am actually DYING.  Then, like magic...the workout is over, people say "good job!" and I have a full 23 hours to recover before the next session.  


So while listening to this mix, go for a run when it's 100 degrees outside, do some burpee-pullup-crunch-squats, drag an enormous tire down the street while a dog chases you, then heave a slamball onto the ground and do a cartwheel before it bounces a second time... believe me... it's a lot of fun and, no, you probably won't die doing it... at least I haven't yet.  ; )


Smells Like Teen Spirit... Nirvana
Brass Monkey (D Minus Transition Mix)... Beastie Boys feat. Will.I.Am
Is You Is or Is You Ain't My Baby? (Verve remix)... Dinah Washington
Lookout Weekend... Debbie Deb
I'm Ready... Kano
When I Hear Music... Debbie Deb
Easy Lover... Phil Collins & Philip Bailey
The Funk Phenomena... Armand Van Helden
One Thing Leads To Another... The Fixx
Beat It... Michael Jackson
Maniac (remix)... Michael Sembello
Call Me... Blondie
Burning Up... Madonna
Tonight (9-5 MJ Mix)... DJ Boobie
Shut Up and Drive... Rihanna
Push It... Salt N Pepa
Rock Star in B More (DJ Riz Mashup)... Da Shop vs. DJ Riz
Sweet Child O' Mine (DJ D.C.C. Mix)... Guns N'Roses
Planet Rock... Afrika Bambaataa
Give it All You Got... Afro Rican
Somebody's Watching Me... Rockwell
Glamourous Life... Shelia E

1 comment: